- provide access to information and advice which enables parents/carers and their children to make informed decisions
- help to explain the content of reports/letters/draft EHCP
- make telephone calls on parents’ behalf and support them with writing letters
- support parents to arrange meetings with schools and other professionals and attend the meetings with parents if required
- accompany parents/carers on visits to alternative educational settings if required
- liaise with schools, the local authority and other agencies to promote positive relationships with parents, carers and young people
- equip parents, carers, children and young people with the skills and confidence to work with professionals and have their voice heard
- signposting parents, carers, children and young people to other sources of support
What is SENDIASS?
SENDIASS offers support to parents and carers of children and young people with SEND (0-25) in the Bradford District. We can also support children or young people to access the service independently, and can advise professionals on queries about SEN policy and provision.
We are funded by Bradford Council but the service is managed independently by Barnardo's. We provide free, confidential and impartial support – which means we do not take sides and we try to ensure that everyone’s views are expressed and heard. We can offer information advice and support by telephone or email, and by more focused methods depending on individual need. We offer a tiered model of support with different intervention levels based on complexity of the case and factors affecting the child/family, in order to prioritise casework support to those families who are most vulnerable. The levels of intervention are based on National IASS guidance, for more information please see our Service offer pyramid.
We can help with:
- SEN Support
- Personal Budgets
The majority of our referrals are received from parents or carers directly. However if you would like to make a professional referral please complete the referral form below, ensuring you have consent to share information with us, and email to bradfordSENDIASS@barnardos.org.uk
If you would like some impartial advice in relation to a family you are working with you can also email an enquiry to us, or contact the service on 01274513300. We operate a callback service and will aim to respond to your enquiry in 3 working days. Please note all referrals for support to a family require a completed and signed professional referral form.
Are you a service manager, or do you and your colleagues’ feel that you would benefit from training around SEN policy and provision? Did you know that the SENDIASS service can offer bespoke training packages for your organisation? Popular topics include:
- The Role of SENDIASS
- SEN Support
- Voice of the Child
Please contact us with your requirements on 01274 513300 and we will endeavour to accommodate your request.
From time to time we run sessions in schools for children and young people. These are arranged with school staff at different schools and colleges across Bradford. The purpose of these fun sessions is to teach children and young people about the SENDIASS service, how we can help and how they can get in touch with us. We also do a lot of creative activities including arts, media, games etc. to gain children’s views on topics which are important to them such as moving schools, inclusion, making friends, bullying, and anything else that they might be worried about. We aim to help children and young people learn new skills and confidence, as well as making sure their voices and opinions are heard. Please contact us if you would be interested in arranging sessions in your school.