Accessibility Statement
Text size:
Back to Portsmouth SENDIASS

Useful contacts

Please find below, useful contact information for services in the Portsmouth area

Useful contacts

Welcome to Portsmouth SEND Local Offer

The Portsmouth SEND Local Offer details the information, support and services that Portsmouth City Council expects to be available in our local area for children and young people aged 0-25 with special educational needs and or a disability (SEND).

Access the offer page here: Home < Portsmouth Local Offer

Sources of support in Portsmouth

School and college support

All schools and colleges have staff who can support your emotional wellbeing, talk to whoever you feel comfortable with and help you get the support you need. You school might even have a Mental Health Support Team (MHST) who can help you with the difficulties you are experiencing. You or your parent can speak with your school about making a referral to MHST.


Kooth is a free online counselling and wellbeing support service, which is available to all young people aged 11-25 in Portsmouth.

You can find advice and guidance, including advice from other young people who have experienced similar things. You can also speak to a counsellor via instant messaging. You don’t need a referral, you can just visit and register anonymously.

The site is available 24/7, with counselling available 12pm – 10pm on weekdays and 6pm – 10pm on weekends.

Hampshire Youth Access counselling service (HYA)

Hampshire Youth Access (HYA) offer counselling, mental health and emotional wellbeing support to young people aged 5-17 (or up to age 24 for care leavers or those with SEND).

Sessions will be delivered by No Limits in schools, in the community and, for older children, the sessions may be online via Zoom.

If you’re aged between 5 and 10, you will need a referral from a GP: the Children and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS); or through the Mental Health Support Teams who work in Portsmouth schools.

If you’re aged between 11 to 17 (or up to 24 for those with SEND/care leavers), you can refer yourself, or you can be referred by your parent/carer or any professional.

Refer by:

Calling: 023 8214 7755


Visiting: Hampshire Youth Access’ website.

Talking Change

Talking Change provides a range of therapies and treatments for those aged 16 and over dealing with common mental health difficulties. These can be in a 1-2-1 or group settings. You can refer yourself.

You can call Talking Change on 0300 123 39 34. They’re available Monday to Thursday 8am – 8pm, Friday 8am – 5pm and Saturday 9am – 1pm.

Find out more on the Talking Change website.

Listening Ear

Listening Ear offers a specialist counselling service for children and young people who have lost someone by suicide. Any parent, guardian or professional can refer you by visiting the Listening Ear website.

CAMHS: Portsmouth Child and adolescent mental health services (CAMHS)

In a crisis or emergency

If you have urgent concerns about a mental health problem, use the NHS 111 online service at or call 111. If you’ve injured yourself, taken an overdose or are in an emergency and believe that your life is at risk, please dial 999 or go to the nearest emergency department.

Portsmouth information sites and resources:

Mental health pathway 11-16 years of age

Mental health Pathway for 5-10 years of age

Portsmouth eating disorder pathway

Information about mental health: Healthier together website

Useful resources

Other trusted sources of information include:

Childline - Trained counsellors who can offer advice and support to anyone under 19 in the UK

Mind - Provide advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem

The Mix - The UK’s leading support service for young people

General information

Useful apps

Emotional Health and Wellbeing

Little Blue Book of Sunshine 



Drugs and alcohol advice

Staying safe online


Suicide prevention

Eating problems




Last updated: