Accessibility Statement
Text size:
Back to Gateshead SENDIASS

Children and Young People


SENDIAS is a service for children and young people aged 0-25 with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities (SEND) and their families in Gateshead.
Gateshead’s SENDIAS Service is provided by Barnardo’s Disability and Inclusion Support Service on behalf of Gateshead Council. We can help you with any problems you might be having at school, and can also give you information about other services such as health or social care.
• Help you to arrange a meeting with teachers and other school staff about the help you need in school.
• Help you to write down all the things you want to say at the meeting and even come along with you to make sure that you have the chance to say all the things you wanted to say.
• Help you and your parents, teachers and other professionals to make a plan about how to meet your needs.


Every area in England has a SENDIASS service by law, and every service has to meet standards to make sure we are providing a good quality service. Click on the link below to find out more about what to expect from your IASS service.
Easy Read IASS Minimum Standards – link:  

Find some useful resources here


What is Special Educational Needs (SEN)?

If you have Special Educational Needs (SEN) you may:

  • Find it harder to learn than other people your age


  • Face challenges that make it hard to go to school or college


  • Need extra or different support to learn

If you have disabilities you:

  • May need support around your health


  • May find some things harder to do than other people

There is a law that tells people how children with SEND should be supported. This law is called the Children and Families Act.

If you would like to read more about the Children and Families Act you can click the link below:

The young person's guide to the children and families act


What is SEN support in school?

Special Educational Needs (SEN) support is the support that Children and Young People who have Special Educational Needs (SEN) can get in school or college.

If you are aged between 5 and 16 years old, you will probably go to school. If you are aged between 16 and 25 years old, then you may go to a college.

A Special Educational Needs coordinator (SENco) is a teacher at a school who is in charge of making sure you get the support you need. If you go to college, there should also be someone who supports you. There may even be more than one person.

You and your parents/carer should have opportunity to meet with the SENco at least 3 times in each year. This means you can all look at what is working well and what needs to change.

Settings must use their ‘best endeavors’ to support you. This means they should do everything they can to help.

Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) Easy Read


Last updated: