North East Lincolnshire SENDIAS Service Joint Communication from Barnardo’s (current provider) and NELC
Accessibility Statement
Text size:
Back to North East Lincolnshire SENDIASS

Factsheets and Further Information

North East Lincolnshire SENDIASS Fact Sheets


Academy: A state-funded school in England that is directly funded by the Department of Education. Academies are self-governing and independent of local authority control.

Assess Plan Do Review: Assess Plan Do Review (APDR) is a cycle in the SEND Code of Practice 0-25 used to meet the needs of children and young people. The cycle and plan involves parents and the child or young person at the earliest stage and is used to assess, plan and review progress.

Ask Listen Do: A project by the NHS to make feedback, concerns and complaints easier for people with a learning disability, autism or both, their families and carers.

ADD: Attention Deficit Disorder.

ADHD: Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder is a group of behavioural symptoms that include inattentiveness, hyperactivity and impulsiveness.

Advocacy: Support for people to express their views.

Advocate: someone who helps another person, for example, a child or their carer to make decisions and have a voice.

Annual Review: A review of a statement of Special Educational Needs (now being replaced by an Education Health Care (EHC) plan), which an education authority must undertake at least every 12 months.

APDR / APDRs: Assess Plan Do Review plans. Assess Plan Do Review is a cycle in the SEND Code of Practice 0 to 25 used to meet the needs of children and young people. The cycle and plan involves parents and the child or young person at the earliest stage and is used to assess, plan and review progress.

ASD: Autistic Spectrum Disorder is a developmental disability that affects how a person communicates with, and relates to other people. It also affects how they make sense of the world around them.



CAMHS: Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services: These services assess and treat children and young people with emotional, behavioural or mental health difficulties.

Care Plan: A record of the health and/or social care services that are being provided to a child or young person to help them manage a disability or health condition.

Caseworker: A named officer of the local authority who will deal with your child's case and who will talk to you if you have an enquiry or concern.

Compulsory school age: Broadly speaking, a child from 5 to 16 years old. A child is of compulsory school age from the beginning of the term following their 5th birthday until the last Friday of June in the year in which they become 16, provided that their 16th birthday falls before the start of the next school year.

Children with Disabilities team: Social care for Children and Families has a team of specialist Social Workers and Occupational Therapists who work with sick and disabled children and their families.



DfE: Department for Education.

Disabled Students Allowance: Financial support for undergraduate or post-graduate students who have a disability or long-term health condition, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty which affects their ability to study. It can be used to pay for things such as special equipment, note-taker, or transport costs.

Disagreement Resolution: This is a statutory service commissioned by local authorities to provide a quick and non-adversarial way of resolving disagreements between parents or young people and bodies responsible for providing education, whether the child or young person has an EHC plan or not, or health and social care in relation to EHC assessments and plans.



Early Years Settings: All pre-school education provision such as nursery classes and schools, day nurseries, and playgroups.

EHCP or EHC Plan: Education, Health and Care plan:  An EHC plan details the education, health and social care support to be provided to a child or young person who has SEN or a disability. It is drawn up by the local authority after an EHC needs assessment of the child or young person has determined that an EHC plan is necessary.

Educational Psychologist: Helps in assessing your child’s special educational needs and giving advice to schools. 

EBD: Emotional and Behavioural Difficulties.

EYFS: The Early Years Foundation Stage. A sets standards for the learning, development, and care of children from birth to 5 years old.



FE college: Further Education college: A college offering continuing education to young people over the compulsory school age of 16.



Healthwatch:  An independent consumer champion, gathering and representing the views of the public about health and social care services.



Independent school: A school that is not maintained by a local authority and is registered under the Education Act 1996. Independent schools will be approved by the Secretary of State as being suitable for the admission of children with EHC plans.

IS: Independent Supporter: An individual who is independent of the local authority and is trained to provide advice and support for families with children with SEND through the statutory assessment and EHC process. It can also mean Independent Support.




Key Person or Keyperson: A named member of staff with responsibilities for a small group of children who helps those children in the group feel safe and cared for.



Legislative: Having powers to make law.

LA / Local Authority: The council.

Local Funding Formula: Formula for how local authorities allocate their dedicated schools grant/s. It is based on the individual needs and characteristics of every school.

Local School’s Forum: The forum that acts as a consultative body on some issues and a decision making body on others. They are made up of representatives from schools and academies.

Local Offer: Local authorities in England are required to set out in their Local Offer information about provision they expect to be available across education, health and social care for children and young people in their area who have SEN or are disabled.



Maintained school:  Schools in England that are maintained by a local authority.

Mediation:  This is a statutory service commissioned by local authorities which is designed to help settle agreements between parents or young people and local authorities over EHC needs assessments and plans.

Mild Learning Difficulties: A student with mild learning difficulties is usually able to hold a conversation, and communicate most of their needs and wishes. 

MLD: Moderate Learning Difficulties: A student with moderate learning difficulties is understood to display a significant delay in reaching developmental milestones and may have much greater difficulty than their peers in acquiring basic literacy and numeracy skills. They may also have associated speech and language delay, low levels of concentration, and under-developed social, emotional, and personal skills.


National curriculum: This sets out clear, full, and statutory entitlement to learning for all pupils, determining what should be taught and setting attainment targets for learning.

NHS Continuing Care: Support provided for children and young people under 18 who need a tailored package of care because of their disability, an accident or illness.

NHS Continuing Healthcare: A package of care that is arranged and funded solely by the NHS for individuals aged 18 and over who are not in hospital but have complex ongoing healthcare needs.

NHS England: An independent body that aims to improve health outcomes for people in England by driving up the quality of care.

Non-maintained special school: Schools in England approved by the Secretary of State as special schools which are not maintained by the state but charge fees on a non-profit-making basis. Most non-maintained special schools are run by major charities or charitable trusts.



OAP / Ordinarily Available Provision: Provision or support that a local authority expects to be made available for Children and Young People with Special Educational Needs and/or disabilities (SEND).

OFSTED: Office for Standards in Education: a government department taking responsibility for the inspection of all schools in England.



Parent Carer Forum: A group of parents and carers of disabled children who work with local authorities, education, health and other providers to make sure the services they plan and deliver meet the needs of disabled children and families.

Personal Budget: An amount of money identified by the local authority to deliver provision set out in an EHC plan where the parent or young person is involved in securing that provision. The funds can be held directly by the parent or young person or maybe held and managed on their behalf by the local authority.

PMLD: Profound and multiple learning disability: This diagnosis is used when a child has more than one disability, with the most significant being a learning disability. Many children diagnosed with PMLD will also have a sensory or physical disability, complex health needs, or mental health difficulties.

Portage: Planned, home-based educational support for pre-school children with special educational needs. Local authorities usually provide Portage Services. The Portage service is named after the town of Portage, Wisconsin, USA. There is an active and extensive network of Portage Services in the UK.

PPS: Parent Partnership Service: See SEND IASS (renamed).

PRU: Pupil Referral Unit: A specially organised school which provides education for pupils who would otherwise not receive suitable education because of illness, exclusion or any other reason.



Respite Care (also known as Short Breaks): Identified package of support to give parent/carers a break from caring. Short breaks can be overnight care for the child/young person with disabilities, activities, or a carer. Families may also be receiving support from the Children with Disabilities Service.       



SEAP: Support, Empower, Advocate, Promote.  An independent health complaints advocacy.

SEN / SEND: SEN stands for Special Educational Needs: A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made. SEND stands for Special Educational Needs and/ disabilities and is not limited to learning difficulties/disabilities.

SENART: Special Educational Needs Assessment and Review Team.

SENCO: Special Educational Needs Coordinator: The teacher with responsibility for the planning and monitoring of the special educational provision within your child's school.

SENO: Special Educational Needs Officer.

SEN Code of Practice: A government document which provides practical advice to those carrying out their statutory duties to identify, assess, and make provision for children's special educational needs.

SENDIASS: Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information, Advice Service: Provides information and support to parents/carers whose children have special educational needs. 

SEN Provision: The additional or different help/support given to children with special educational needs, designed to help them access the National Curriculum.

Settings: Pre-school, school or post-16 institution such as Further Education College.

Short Breaks: Short Breaks give children and young people with a disability time away from the family. 

SLD: Severe Learning Disabilities.

Special School: A school that is organised to make special educational provision for pupils with SEN and available for children with Statements of Educational Needs/EHC plans.

Speech and Language Therapy: Speech and language therapy is a health care profession, the role and aim of which is to enable children, young people and adults with speech, language and communications difficulties to reach their maximum communication potential.

Statutory: Required, permitted, or enacted by statute.

Statute: A written law passed by a legislative body.

Statutory Assessment: A detailed assessment of a child's special educational needs, which informs the EHC plan.



Transition Plan: A plan drawn up after the Year 9 Annual Review of a statement/EHC plan that draws together information from a range of individuals to plan for the young person's transition to adult life.



VI: Visual Impairment.



YP / Young person: A person over compulsory school age (the end of the academic year in which they turn 16) up to the age of 25. 

Covid 19 Update

We are still supporting parents/carers of children and young people with SEND.

The coronavirus might mean we are not in the office or able to attend face to face meetings, but the SENDIASS team and are still able to offer you information, advice and telephone/online support.

We can still respond to your calls and e-mails and we aim to get back to you within 10 days and there’s plenty of information on the website.

We know you will continue to have queries or need advice, so do please get in touch.


Telephone: 01472 355365 and leave us a message.

Chat Facility: Leave us a message on our website chat facility

Further Information

Special Educational Needs (“SEN”) can affect a child or young person’s ability to learn.

For example, someone’s SEN might affect their:

Further information can be found by clicking the following links:

Nurseries, schools and colleges have clear duties under the SEND Code of Practice 2014. This contains guidance on what they should be doing to identify and support children and young people with SEN. The Code applies to all settings except wholly independent schools.

Nurseries, schools and colleges must “have regard” to the Code. This means that they should do what it says or be able to explain why they have not done so, and what alternative has been put in place instead.

The SEND Code of Practice 2014 specifies how each type of setting should support children and young people on SEN Support. 

Part 5 - is specific to Early Years Settings (Nurseries)

Part 6 - is specific to Schools

Part 7 - is specific to Further Education Settings (Colleges).

Where a pupil is identified as having SEN, settings should implement support to prevent them from struggling. 

Settings should follow the Graduated Approach by:

  • assessing the child's needs,
  • making plans to meet a child's  needs 
  • carrying out the plans
  • reviewing the progress.

Settings must use their ‘best endeavours’ to support children and young people with SEN.  This means doing everything that could reasonably be expected of them.

Funding SEN Support

Information about settings are funded to provide SEN Support can be found by clicking the links below:

Schools - 

Post 16 Settings - 

Parents of children whose needs are being met through SEN support should be invited to regularly meet with the school SENCO.  Point 6.65 of The SEND Code of Practice 2014 states that "Where a pupil is receiving SEN support, schools should talk to parents regularly to set clear outcomes and review progress towards them, discuss the activities and support that will help achieve them, and identify the responsibilities of the parent, the pupil and the school. Schools should meet parents at least three times each year"

Meetings should help parents understand what support is in place and how school are using their SEN budget to support their child. Schools should provide parents with a costed provision map.

Click here to view our Fact Sheet on SEN Support.

There are only two types of exclusion from a school which are lawful: permanent and fixed-period.

Schools which are maintained by the LA, Academies and Pupil referral Units, should utilise the statutory guidance shown in the link below: 

Pupils can only be excluded for disciplinary reasons: they cannot be excluded because a school cannot meet their needs.

‘Informal’ or ‘unofficial’ exclusions, such as sending a pupil home to cool off or the school putting a pupil on a ‘part-time timetable’, are all unlawful regardless of whether they occur with the agreement of parents or carers. 

Unlawful exclusion of a pupil with a disability may amount to disability discrimination under the Equality Act 2010.

The following links provide additional further information: 

A part time timetable is anything other than a child attending school full-time.

All pupils of compulsory school age are entitled to a full-time education. In very exceptional circumstances there may be a need for a temporary part-time time table to meet a pupil’s needs. This does not mean the child should receive less than a full time education. It means that they will receive some of their education out of school. When a child is on a part time timetable, schools still have a responsibility to educate them full time, by providing an online learning platform or by sending home work and marking work for every lesson they miss. 

Younger children who are not of compulsory school age (usually children who are 4 and in reception class) should have the same opportunities as their peers, to attend full-time. If parents feel their child is being treated unfairly because of their needs, they have the right to make a claim to the SEND Tribunal about Disability Discrimination. 

A part-time timetable must not be treated as a long-term solution. It should constantly be reviewed and a plan for reintegration should be arranged and adhered to.

Local authorities are required to arrange free, suitable, home to school transport for children of compulsory school age who are ‘eligible’, to their nearest suitable qualifying school.

Eligible children fall within four categories, set out in Schedule 35 EA 1996:

  • Children with SEN, a disability or a mobility difficulty
  • Children whose route to school is unsafe
  • Children who live beyond the statutory walking distance
  • Children from low income families

If a child meets the criteria for any one of these categories, they could be entitled to home to school transport. 

Additional information can be found by clicking the links below: 

An Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) is a legal document which describes a child or young person’s Special Educational Needs, the support they need, and the outcomes they would like to achieve.

An EHCP can only be issued after a child or young person has gone through the process of an EHC Needs Assessment.

The majority of children and young people with SEN or disabilities will have their needs met within local mainstream early years settings, school or colleges; however, some children and young people may require an EHC needs assessment in order for the Local Authority to decide whether it is necessary to make additional provision. 

If an EHC Needs Assessment takes place, the LA will make a decision as to whether an EHCP is needed for the child or whether the child's needs can be met in school without it. 

Parents or School can complete an EHCP request. 

Parents and settings may not always agree about whether an EHCP request should be submitted. It is important to note that parents have the legal right to submit an EHCP request themselves. SENDIASS can support parents to do this. 

Click here to view us EHCP Fact Sheet.

Once an EHC plan is in place for a child or young person, it is unlikely to remain the same over time. As they grow up, it may become out of date, and they may move to a different school or college. This is why there is a requirement for all EHCP's to be reviewed by the Local Authority at least annually. This is usually referred to as the Annual Review.

It is common for schools to facilitate Annual Review Meetings on behalf of the LA.  Schools have the right to request that the LA is present if they feel this is required. 

Parents, Children and Young People should be involved in the Annual Review Process.  There should be a meeting to attend and other ways for views, wishes and feelings to be heard; such as paperwork to fill out. The Annual Review is a chance to look at:

  • What is working well?
  • What needs to change?
  • Changes in SEN
  • Preparing for Adulthood (Year 9 onwards)
  • Aspirations

For additional further information about Annual Reviews and how to support children and young people during the process, please click the link below: 

SENDIASS can provide advocacy for Parents/Carers and for Young People in their own right. 

SENDIASS do not fulfil the role of Statutory advocates. Further information about Statutory Advocates can be found by clicking the link below:


  • listen to views and concerns 
  • help people explore their options and rights (without pressuring them)
  • provide information to help people make informed decisions
  • help with communicating with school/college
  • accompany and  support people in a school/college meeting

SENDIASS will not:

  • give  their personal opinion (tell people what they think)
  • solve problems and make decisions for people
  • make a judgement 

Click here to read the North East Lincolnshire SENDIASS Advocacy Offer.

North East Lincolnshire SENDIASS are ready to start their journey to be awarded the Cultural Cohesion Quality Mark.

The Cultural Cohesion Quality Mark (CCQM) is awarded to organisations and communities who can demonstrate improvements in their cultural competency. CCQM supports organisations and communities to develop knowledge, understanding and behaviours needed for individuals to enjoy living and working in places where cultural diversity is recognised, appreciated and promoted. The aim is to improve equality and reduce discrimination, and enable equal access to opportunities for every citizen.

Please see our pledge below as we start out on our journey to reach our aspirations.

Overview of SENDIASS in North East Lincolnshire

Part 1
Part 2


Although the service is a statutory one that every local authority has to provide, North East Lincolnshire has out-sourced their service to Barnardo’s.

This means that we are truly independent of the local authority and all staff are employed by Barnardo’s.

As a Barnardo’s service, we are part of one of the UK’s leading charities. We believe in the potential of every child and young person, no matter who they are, what they have done or what they have been through. For more information about Barnardo’s go to the Barnardos website.

The service is also an active member of the National IASS Network (IASSN) and this enables us to call upon the resources and expertise of a wide range of experience and knowledge from across the country, as well as accessing national training.

No. We normally work with children/young people and parents/carers of children/young people who have been formally recognised as having SEND support in school/college.

However, it is often the case that a parent feels their child may have a problem which the school has not yet recognised or picked up, and we are quite happy to support parents or young people in these circumstances.

Yes, but only where the child has a special educational need.

No. SENDIASS will support parents and may attend meetings with them and help them put their views across, but we cannot act as representatives or a legal Advocate because as this would compromise our impartiality.

We will accompany children/young people and parents/carers to hearings, tribunals and appeals.

Yes, if the young person is aged between 16-25 years.

If under 16 we would need parents’ consent. 

Children/young people and parents/carers can contact the service at any time by calling 01472 355365, emailing or by using the chat function on this website.

Staff will endeavour to give advice there and then, or, if more support is needed, take a referral and allocate a project worker.

Yes, although only with parents’ permission. A referral form for use by schools and other agencies is available from the service by clicking here. The form will then need emailing to 

Yes. We are happy to answer any queries to do with special educational needs policy, procedures and legislation (we normally have the answer but if not, we will research and find it.)

In addition, SENDIASS  is able to offer information and/or training sessions on SEN/disability issues and working with children/young people and parents/carers to school staff, governors and other agencies.

An important part of our work entails working closely with the Local Authority (LA) and other statutory and voluntary services. We also have a role in ‘interpreting’ LA policy and procedures to children/young people and parents/carers.

SENDIASS supports the active involvement of children/young people and parents/carers in developing and reviewing the implementation of both Children’s Service policy and SENDIASS policy. SENDIASS has representation on key strategic groups and provides a support structure to enable parents and carers to fully participate in shaping SEND development in NE Lincolnshire.

Yes. We are always happy to work closely with parents SEND support groups and will provide information and/or presentations on a range of topics on request.

No – we are open all year except for Bank Holidays.

The office is normally open from 8.30 am to 4.30 pm, Monday to Thursday and 8.30 am to 4.00 pm on a Friday.

There is also an answering machine to take messages outside these hours or if staff are already on calls or out on visits.


In their own words

Some comments from parents with whom we have worked:

“I would like to say a big thank you to my SENDIASS worker who has always been there to help myself and my daughter. She is very understanding, caring and works in a very professional manner. Without this service I would not have got anywhere so again many thanks – I really appreciate it and will not forget what has been done for us."

“Thank you most of all for the listening ear. Having a child with additional needs has been hard for me to come to terms with. Your help and advice have been so helpful and comforting."

“We would like to say a big thank you to the lovely people at the Barnardo’s SENDIASS Team for all their hard work and dedication over the past year regarding our son’s educational issues. We truly don’t know how we would have managed without them."

“My worker has been more than helpful, parents should go to SENDIASS, they are non-judgemental, so supportive and amazing!”

“I could not have wished for a better person to support and guide me, she has helped our family so much.”

Facts and Figures

What you talk to us about is confidential and identifiable information will not be passed to anyone without your permission.

We review general data collected on a termly basis to look for trends and use this to guide the information and workshop sessions we provide. We share this information with partners to help influence local and national policy. 

Future Plans

We recently submitted a 2-year plan to the Council for Disabled Children outlining how we will develop to meet the new minimum standards for IAS services.

We were invited to apply for funding to support the plan in 2019-20 and were successful with our bid. (This is additional funding – the Local Authority are required to fund the IAS service for their area and will continue to do so at the current level).

How to Contact Us

Our opening hours are Monday - Thursday 8.30am - 4.30pm and Friday 8.30am - 4pm. Please contact us either by using our website chat facility, call us on 01472 355365 and leave us a message or email We aim to return calls within 10 working days.

Visit our Facebook page.

Last updated: